What to do if you are hurt at work

  1. Inform the crew and get first aid immediately if needed.
  2. Complete ACF32-8 “Flight Attendant Injury Report” AND ACF34C “Accident/Incident Report”
  3. If you are unable to complete the reports right away, make sure the Company knows as soon as possible.

What is the process

How is the injury reported to WCB?
The Company is responsible, by law, to report the accident or illness to the WCB.  This is why it is important that you report it via the proper forms, or otherwise advise them as soon as possible.

The “Flight Attendant Injury Report” the goes to Claims where it is used to complete the Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease.   There is a time limit for them to submit this report.

The Company is also required to do the following:
1.    Pay you full wages for the day the accident/illness occurred.
2.    Arrange and pay for transportation (on the day of the accident) to get you to health care, if needed.
3.    Give you a copy of the Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease once completed.

Do I have to book off to claim for WCB benefits?
Not necessarily.  A claim can be established for health care benefits only.  For example; you pulled a muscle in your back – you don’t think you will have to book off, but you would like to see a physiotherapist.  WCB could pay the fee if the injury is reported and the claim allowed.

Is there a time limit for reporting a claim?
Yes.  You have 2 years from the date of the accident or, for occupational diseases, from the time you learn of the diagnosis.  However, unless there is a compelling reason why you were not able to report the claim (eg. In hospital), you are required to report it as soon as possible.

Do I always have to claim?
You do not have to file a claim if all three of the following apply:
1.    Only first aid treatment was needed.
2.    You did not book off.

How do I make a claim

You can make a claim online by logging on to http://www.wcb.ab.ca  eLink Online Service or call the WCB General Enquiry Number at 1-866-922-9221 and ask for assistance.

You should also do the following:

1.    Complete and submit a “Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease”
2.    Tell the health professional who first treats you that the accident/illness is work-related so they can complete and submit a “Physician’s First Report” (Form C050).
3.    Advise the Company.
4.    Ask your WSIB  Committee for help.

The Claim Process

The WCB checks whether you are covered by workers’ compensation insurance. If you are covered, the WCB decides how serious your injury is and accepts it as either a no lost-time claim or a lost-time claim.

A no lost-time claim means you:

  • haven’t lost time from work
  • haven’t had to change the work you do
  • don’t have a permanent disability

A lost-time claim means:

  • you can’t continue to do your job because of your injury (this could be temporary or permanently)

What to expect with a no lost-time claim
If your claim is a no lost-time claim, the WCB pays for treatments or supplies that you will need as a result of your work-related injury. The WCB sends you and your employer letters to tell you both which benefits will be forthcoming.

What to expect with a lost-time claim
Lost-time claims are given to an adjudicator. This person decides whether your claim will be accepted. If it is accepted, the adjudicator sets your compensation rate and issues your benefits every two weeks until you return to work. The adjudicator informs you and your employer about your benefits by sending letters to you both.

If you are off work or expected to be off work for an extended period (typically about a month), your claim will be transferred from the adjudicator to a case manager. The case manager will contact you, your employer, and health care provider to develop a return-to-work plan. Your case manager will coordinate all of your benefits and services to support your return-to-work plan.

When can I expect to hear from the WCB?
If your claim is registered with all of the required information, you can expect to hear from the WCB within seven working days. A Worker Handbook will be sent to you, and your claim number will be documented in a letter.

What are my responsibilities after I file a claim?

  • keep your appointments with your health care providers (physicians, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.).
  • ask your health care providers to send reports to the WCB.
  • follow the treatment plans developed by your health care providers.
  • talk to your physician about your progress so you understand when you can return to work. Inform your adjudicator or case manager of any changes in your medical recovery.
  • talk to your employer regularly about your progress. Ask about a possible return-to-work date and whether suitable work can be found for you.
  • have regular contact with your adjudicator or case manager.
  • tell your adjudicator or case manager when your doctor tells you that you are fit to return to work. If you do return to work early, make sure you understand and follow any work restrictions so your re-employment is safe for both you and others.
  • advise the WCB if you stop working or need to change your duties because of your injury.
  • keep receipts for costs directly related to your workplace injury.
  • use your claim number when you write letters or call the WCB.
  • advise your adjudicator or case manager if you will be leaving the province on vacation or you are moving out of Alberta.

What happens if my injury was not reported?
If the WCB has no record of your claim and more than two years has passed, the WCB will consider the claim if you can show you had a good reason to delay reporting.

Can I have someone help me with my claim?
Yes. You can have a friend, family member, interpreter, injured worker representative, labour union advocate, lawyer or WCB appeals advisor act as your representative to deal with your claim information. Complete and send the Worker’s Information Release form to tell the WCB who your representative will be.

How can I get or give general information about my claim?
You can contact a customer contact representative. For example, you may want to contact a representative to find out if your claim has been accepted, to check the status of your payment, or to give medical updates.

What happens to the personal information the WCB collects about me?
The Workers’ Compensation Act gives the WCB authority to collect relevant personal information from you and other sources. This information is placed in your file to help the WCB determine the benefits and services you may receive.
Your personal information is protected under the Workers’ Compensation Act and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It cannot be released without your consent. However, the WCB is allowed to share some general personal information with other government departments or agencies such as Employment Insurance or Social Services.

Can I get information from my claim file?
Yes. One copy can be made at no charge. This copy can be mailed to you, or your representative, or it can be picked up. Contact us to ask for your free copy. Please always provide your claim number.

Does my employer have access to my claim file?
You and your employer both have an interest in your claim with similar rights to receive fair and equal treatment. Like you, your employer can hire an employer advocate or a lawyer, and they can get one copy of your claim file from the WCB’s Access to Information team to assist in the appeal process. Your employer does not have to receive your consent to view your file or receive a copy.

Assessing my illness or injury Independent Medical Examinations

What is the purpose of an Independent Medical Examination?
An Independent Medical Examination answers specific medical questions about a work-related injury/illness. These might include:

  • Is your condition permanent or temporary? The examiner will indicate whether he/she thinks your condition will or will not change/improve over a reasonable period of time.
  • Do you have any permanent disability (lasting effects) from your injury/illness?
  • Can you return to the same type of work you were doing before your injury/illness?
  • Is there anything else that should be done to confirm your diagnosis or further treatment that may be required?

When does an Independent Medical Examination occur?
The medical examination can occur at any time during your recovery. It may take place soon after your injury/illness, after recovery, or after you go back to work.

A medical examination to decide whether you have a permanent impairment will be done after a period of treatment from your doctor when your injury/illness has stabilized and you have reached maximum medical recovery.

Who does the Independent Medical Examination?
Either a general practitioner who is a Certified Independent Medical Examiner (C.I.M.E.) with the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners, or a specialist will conduct your examination. They have been selected based on their expertise in the type of injury/illness you have experienced. The physician performing the exam will go over the history of your injury/illness and will examine you. The report will be sent to your family doctor and the WCB.

The examiner will not be treating you. Any treatment suggestions will first be shared with your family doctor who may review them with you.

What will happen after the Independent Medical Examination?
After the Independent Medical Examination, the examiner will write a report for the WCB. A copy will be sent to your treating physician.

Neuropsychological assessments

What is the purpose of a neuropsychological assessment?
A neuropsychological assessment is arranged when a head injury or other neurological injuries are identified.

What is a neuropsychological assessment?
It is an interview that includes tasks and questions that examine memory, intelligence, problem solving skills, attention and concentration, and personality. A psychologist who specializes in neuropsychological testing usually conducts the assessment. Following the assessment, treatment recommendations may be made.

Work Assessment Centres and Occupational Rehabilitation Programs
I’ve been told I have to go to a work assessment centre. What happens there?

The work assessment centre will provide a detailed evaluation of the medical and rehabilitation treatment you require to successfully return to work. Assessment at these centres can take up to two days. Centres are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Canmore, and Fort McMurray.

What if I do not live in one of the cities where the centres are located?
All work assessment centres have made arrangements with hotels/motels to accommodate you during your assessment. Please discuss these arrangements with the centre you are going to. Reimbursement for your accommodation/travel costs can be discussed with your case manager.

Who does the assessment?
Based on your needs, you may be seen by a physician, an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, and/or a psychologist. Each of these professionals will clearly explain his/her role in the assessment process.

What happens after the assessment?
Based on the results of your assessment, recommendations may be made regarding the rehabilitation services you may require. These will be communicated to your family physician and your case manager.

What do WCB benefits cover?

If your claim is allowed, the WCB Insurance benefits will pay for :
1.    Health care (eg. Physiotherapy, chiropractic, etc.).
2.    Medications prescribed for your injury/illness.
3.    Wage loss benefits during your recovery.

What if I have to go to a health professional or hospital due to the accident/illness?
1.    Tell the person treating you that the injury happened at work.
2.    If you are ill and you think it was caused by something at work, tell the person treating you:
•    When you first noticed the symptoms
•    What the work conditions were at the time and how long you have worked under those conditions
3.    The person treating you must complete a “Physician’s First Report” (Form C050) and have it sent it to WCB.  On this form there are sections where you can give information about yourself and Air Canada.

What is the procedure for returning to work?

It may be possible for you to return to work and do modified duties, or be eligible to participate in the Company’s Rehab Program, while you are in treatment and recovering from your injury/illness.  You are responsible for the following:

1.    Participate fully in your treatment plan.
2.    Discuss your progress in treatment with your health professional and when it would be possible to return to work and if modified work is necessary.
3.    Have your health professional complete theFunctional Abilities Form (ACF6214).  This is a non-medical form that stipulates what your physical restrictions are, should you be able to perform modified work.  This form must be submitted to the Company in order to determine the suitability of modified work. (The Company should provide you with this form, if not, it is available on Aeronet).
4.    Stay in contact with your manager,  and keep him/her updated on your progress.
5.    If you cannot yet book on, cooperate and participate in the Company’s efforts to return you to work either through the Re-hab program, or through a modified work plan.

Where to find help

The WSIB Committee offers support to those members who have sustained an injury while on duty.

Navigating the mammoth bureaucracy known as the Workers’ Compensation Board can be confusing and at times frustrating – particularly when you’re not feeling well. Whether it is your claim, or preparation for an Appeal or Tribunal, the WSIB Committee is there to help!

If you have any questions about your claim, your benefits, or would like any information about the WSIB, please contact the Component Committee Chairperson:

Douglas Hay
Long Distance in North America 1-877-776-8990 Ext 259
Fax: 416-674-6824
email: d.hay@accomponent.ca


Download The Complete WSIB Pamphlet Here

WCB Alberta Website

WCB-Alberta Worker’s Handbook

Frequently Asked Questions

Who decides when I should return to work?

Your doctor and other health care providers send progress reports to your adjudicator or case manager. The adjudicator or case manager uses these reports, and other information they may request, to determine when you are fit to work. Your adjudicator or case manager will contact you to set a date for your return to some type of work.

What happens if I can’t return to the job I had before my injury/illness?

If medical information suggests you will likely return to your pre-accident occupation, vocational services may not be considered. However, if you have temporary restrictions, your case manager will discuss with your employer the possibility of modified work. Modified work promotes an early and gradual return to your pre-accident employment.

If medical information suggests you are unlikely to return to your pre-accident occupation, your case manager will help you assess your job future with your accident employer. Following the assessment, your case manager may also discuss a change of occupation with a new employer.

What help will I get in returning to work?

If medical information suggests a job change is required, you may be eligible for a variety of vocational services that your case manager will determine with you. Services are individual and include attending employment search programs such as a Job Search Skill Development or a Supported Job Search program.

What is an Employment Search Program?

Employment Search Programs serve two purposes:

* To help injured workers develop job search skills and learn about the job market
* To provide injured workers the support and guidance to seek employment

What will the Employment Search Program do for me?

It will analyze your strengths, and help you to explore the job market. You will learn how to prepare a resume, research prospective employers, fine tune job interview skills and follow-up techniques.

Who do I go to for Employment Search Programs?

The WCB has approved agencies with proven experience and helpful professional staff. Your case manager will refer you to the one that best suits your situation.

Will the Employment Search Program agencies set up appointments or interviews with employers for me?

They may if they are aware of opportunities. However, you will be expected to make personal contact with employers.

How long do these programs last?

Most programs last up to 12 weeks, if required.

What is a Training-on-the-Job Program?

The WCB can support your employment with a new employer by subsidizing your wage for a few months depending on the training requirements. Contact your case manager for more information.

Will I have to go back to school?

This is not normally required. Generally, employment is sought using your existing skills and knowledge.

What if I am unable to do the job I was doing when I was injured?

The WCB will work with your employer to find out if there are other jobs you can do while you are recovering. This might mean working less hours, performing fewer tasks or entirely different tasks?

Does my employer have to hold my job until I am fit to return to work?

Although your employer is not required to hold your job, we encourage employers to do so. We will work with you, your employer and health care providers to develop a return to work plan.

What happens to my benefits if I return to a different job?

Depending on the type of work you return to, the WCB will reduce or stop your benefits.

What if I find it difficult to return to work because of my injury?

If you find it difficult to return to work because of your injury, your adjudicator or case Manager will review your claim to decide whether you will be able to receive vocational rehabilitation services as part of your return to work plan. Vocational rehabilitation services may include: supported job search programs, training on the job, counseling, academic or technical training, among others.

Will the WCB find me a job?

No, the WCB does not find you a job. The WCB is responsible for giving you fair compensation and services to help you become fit to return to some type of employment.

What happens if I am considered medically fit to return to the same type of job I had when I was hurt, but I cannot find work?

If you cannot return to work because of a poor job market or another reason not related to your injury, your workers’ compensation benefits may not cover you. If this happens, you may need to apply for another type of insurance coverage such as federal Employment Insurance or CPP disability benefits.

What happens if I am considered medically fit to return to work, but I choose not to? Do I continue to receive benefits?

When your adjudicator or case manager finds you medically fit to return to work, you are expected to try to find and return to a suitable job. If you decide you are not going to return to work, the WCB can reduce or stop giving you benefits.

What if I don’t get a job?

Your case manager is the best person to discuss any concerns you may have. It is possible you may not locate a job before your vocational services end. You may need to plan for this possibility.

Is there any other support the WCB can offer me?

Other services are available. You should work with your case manager to develop an appropriate plan of action.